Content is said to be the king in SEO, but it’s important to know if you’ve chosen the right content for your target audience. It should not be applied carte Blanche in every situation, and its essential to know the SERP landscape for each client. Even there are so many cases where adding a large quantity of low-value content can have a negative impact on local businesses and SMBs.
The Case We Studied – A year ago, a digital marketing company joins a personal injury lawyer-client. There was an issue of ranking where some of the main targeted keywords weren’t ranking on Google. Also, the law firm was connected to another company for targeting social security disability terms for boilerplate service area pages.
Every page has an individual target on individual service area; still, they didn’t receive the real value to the page visitors.
The pages have the below characteristics-
- All the pages have almost similar content for different locations. This is a common tactic for businesses that currently have no positive impact on ranking.
- The content was created with the sole intention to display in search results, so searchers’ need wasn’t fulfilled.
- The service area pages had almost no incoming links and no traffic.
Redirecting to one main page on the site could’ve solved the issue. We can’t actually count the average writing time as it varies depending on many factors where the research is the main part.
At first, Know Your Goal.
For long articles/content, you may feel whether you are or aren’t wasting your time, well we may suggest it depends on your aim. No two articles works the same and hence ensure what’s your goal:-
- At a high level, you need customer conversion.
- At a more realistic level, you mostly need the right audience and traffic.
- You maybe want high rankings for relevant keywords at an even more detailed level.
Google doesn’t care about how many words you’ve used, rather it cares about –
· Longer content has more backlinks.
· Longer content has more social shares.
· Longer content has more organic traffic.
Also, it’s important to remember that always too much content won’t rank your site. You’ve to make sure whatever quantity of content you put, it should be relevant with quality data. If you update your content with comprehensive coverage, you are ready to start the SEO process.